12 SECRETS OPTIMAL HEALTH
Take a moment, close your eyes. IMAGINE……. What does Optimal Health look like to you? What does it feel like? What limitations are getting between you and having that RIGHT NOW? What would be possible if those limitations were gone?
When evaluating our level of health, we must look at the entire picture. This includes our eating choices, as well other segments of life ALL impacting our overall well being. Some of theses areas leave a much greater impact on our health then even a poor diet can. All of these areas are integrated and ultimately creating a balance of our mind, body, spirit which impacts our level of health. Some areas to consider would be your career, finances, physical activity, spirituality, and your relationships. I like to refer to these areas as your Primary Food. The food we eat becomes our Secondary Foods. Primary Foods consist of the areas of life that feed us, but not neccissarily our bellies.
Right along with the introduction of more refined and processed foods the scales have tipped and more of us are effected by the 3 biggest killers facing us, Heart Disease, Diabetes, and Cancer. They go hand in hand with the Global Obesity Epidemic. Most of us already know that a poor diet, stress, lack of excersize can negatively impact your health. But in an environment that supports most of us to eat poorly and continuly live in a high state of stress, how do we create habits we can practice on a daily basis to position us for OPTIMAL HEALTH? We all want to live this one life we have optimally. How do we remove the barriers, the ones we personally have created, to have the lives we have always wanted. This is exactly the subject matter we dive into in our Wellness Coaching & Programs.
Here are some suggestions you can getting started on immediately…..
Primary Foods (Relationships, career, spirituality, and exercise)
- Exercise regularly: Even walking 3 or more times per week has shown health benefits with reduction of blood pressure and stress. Yoga is a great physical practice that can also support your mental/spiritual as well. It is a great way to really connect to the breathe…. this is the glue that connects our mind, body and spirity. The magic of the breathe.
- Find time for Sleep & Rest: Most people need 7-9 hours a day to function optimally during the day. If you are lacking in this area, all other areas of your life will likely be affected. Remember this is not wasted time it is healing time. What other ways can you bring more restoritive practices into your life?
- Mental/Spiritual Balance: This can take the form of focused meditative prayer and reflection on your short and long term goals as a good starting point. A daily commitment to devotional time spent reading to progress your spiritual development is also a good way to keep on track with this piece. The key is to take time for yourself to stay in touch with and strengthen your spiritual self and relationship to “God”. Remember, with that relationship all things are possible! That would include achieving optimal health and a wellness lifestyle that you can sustain for years to come.
- Fats to Avoid: polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, ALL partially hydrogenated oils, and ALL foods containing trans-fatty acids (deep-fried food). They are either high in saturated fats or high in Omega 6 essential fatty acids…. which are Pro-Inflammatory.
- Fats to Increase: Increase the omega-3 fatty acids in our diets. We do this by eating more cold water oily fish, freshly ground flaxseeds, and walnuts. Taking the right fish oil supplement or Krill oil also is beneficial.
- Reduce consumption of animal foods: this helps reduce the amount of fat you ingest. Replace the protein with vegetable protein. Use hormone-free, organically produced products whenever possible – No antibiotics, hormones, grass-fed show the saturated fats are less.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables: We know there are over 2000 plant-based chemicals that are important to our nutrition. Solitary nutrients (found in synthetic vitamins and supplements) may not be as effective as whole foods.
- Eat mushrooms frequently: especially shiitake, enokitake, maitake, and oyster mushrooms as they are filled with certain biological sugars our bodies need. This includes fucose and others that have been shown to have profound effects in our bodies.
- Drink tea: Drink green or black tea daily as they are loaded with antioxidants called catechins which are important for detoxifying our bodies.
- Get plenty of vitamin D3: This can be either as sunshine, safe tanning beds (UVB lighting) or supplement vitamin D3. Ask your healthcare professional to draw your 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D level at your next annual visit and monitor your levels periodically.
- Whole-food sources for nutrients: This should be your first source of nutrition. If the diet is low in the necessary nutrients, supplement with whole food evidence-based supplements or consider purchasing a Vitamix to make it delicious, fast and easy to fit these foods in your diet. Just like you put gas in your car, we must give our bodies the proper fuels.
- Limit alcohol consumption: Too much alcohol can cause profound health problems. Due to an antioxidant called resveratrol in red wine, a little wine every once in a while is good for the heart. Make sure you supplement the right vitamins and minerals when you drink to prevent the increased risks of certain cancers when you consume alcohol.
We probably could agree that we generally already knew most of these “secrets”.
The big question is how do we actually practice this in our lives??? Well I am here to tell you that to some degree it’s not your fault. The environment we live in doesn’t support us to actually live in optimal health. That is why it is even more critical we make this a priority in our lives. There are ways to apply this in your life on a daily basis, however, sometimes we need to get aligned and focus. This is were we need to bring in the 3 TOP THINGS you can do to make this a reality.
- We MUST create a BIG WHY that empowers us and pulls us into action. If your WHY isn’t big enough it can get in the way of you the life you have always wanted. Here is the SECRET to your why…. It must be bigger then you!
- FOCUS! These days it seems like there are not enough hours in the day. So many things to do to balance all the different aspects of our lives. Work, Finances, Family, Physical Activity, Health, and the list continues. Sometimes we need to prioritize and work from that space. Focusing in on the things that are most important to us.
- Investing a little time in the front end to creates structures in your life to keep you accountable and that are supportive to position you to excel in succeeding with your health and wellness goals.
Optimal Health also comes from balancing all parts of life and contining to nurture and take care of our bodies and minds. We only get one life, one body, one mind….. What is stopping you from having optimal health and living the optimal life that you want?
Get your optimal helath now, CLICK HERE and register for a FREE Health Consultation with Lisa Saremi. Together we will look closer and see what your health and wellness goals are how you can achieve them so that they are life lasting and take you beyond any limitations you have created so far.